Jun 30, 2013

A History Mural (touched up)



(Mural painted on primed center block Approx 8' X 17' )
(University of Connecticut)

Decided to post a photo of a mural I did for the University of Connecticut many years back as a tribute to black history in America. I remember I did little research and a small survey on who I should be included. Well first I went to an African-American professor, the late Oscar Walters from Baltimore and asked what should a Black history mural be about, his answer was a mural on college level should educate. Then I asked campus counselor, Mr Coachman an older gentleman on who was a significant black history figure, his answer Jackie Robinson. Finally, being from Hartford I met with legendary muralist artist and friend Micheal Borders on the execution on creating the mural. Other figures I chose for integrity and because I just liked. My final decision was, from left to right, Jackie Robinson, Fredrick Douglas, Shirley Chisholm, Harriet Tubman, Martin Luther King, Marcus Garvey, A Spinx (history denied), W.E. Dubois, and Muhammad Ali. Symbolically arranged with the strength and daring of Harriet Tubman leading centered, left side history through integrity of character and personality, a fountain spouting clear water left, to the right of Tubman, figures figures who were known for defying wrongs, the end result there blood shed, a fountain spouting bloody water right. In the sky intellect and well being because I associate the stars with mystery and knowledge. Other symbols are three triangularly arranged stars symbolizing the triangle trade  (continent shape stars) and the baseball that reads excelsior. Sadly the mural was destroyed due to campus development and only a photo now exist for young people in the student union. If your ever there you can check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment